Melton Coss Baseball Club is a baseball club located in Solsgirth, Albaland. They are one of 16 teams that played in the inaugural Albaland Baseball League in 1910 and the only professional team to ever be based in the town of Solsgirth.
Founded by Joseph Hill – a textile worker at Melton Coss Textile Factory – in 1902, the club was originally called Solsgirth Textiles before gaining sponsorship from the company in 1904 after approaching the owner Christopher Coss, and renaming to Melton Coss Baseball Club as a result. The team are affectionately known as The Woolers due to the factory specialising in Melton wool.
In 1907, Melton Coss reached the semi-finals of the first ever Alba Shield, going down to eventual winners Fossoway 1-0, having eliminated Glenarm and Oxenfoord Athletic along the way. The following year, the club was eliminated at the quarter-finals, once again going down to the eventual cup winners 1-0, this time to Townend. Another quarter-final exit in 1909 followed after a 6-5 loss to Maryburgh Angels, but the team entered the Albaland Baseball League in the 1910 baseball season as one of the winningest teams at the time.
The baseball club was sold in 1967 and is no longer associated with the textile factory after the latter suffered financial difficulties in the early 1960s.
The Woolers play out of St. Fittick’s Park, originally a large unused piece of land behind St. Fittick’s Church. Nine-foot high walls enlarged to 10 feet from right of centre to the right field foul pole encapsulate a relatively big outfield that sees triples reduced by nearly half of the league average as a result. The Big Hill sits along the left field fence, the last remaining grass hill for spectators and bring a picnic blanket and watch professional ball players in the country.
The clubs colors are baby blue, white and black.