Terregles Collieries Baseball Club is a baseball club located in Terregles, Albaland. They are known as The Foxes and play in a white jersey with dark blue sleeves, white pants and orange socks with a dark blue cap. They are one of 16 teams that played in the inaugural Albaland Baseball League in 1910.
Founded by three miners John Bell, James Johnston and William McQueen in 1895 as Terregles Coal Miners Baseball Club for miners to relax and have fun outside of work, the team renamed themselves in 1897 as Terregles Collieries, playing it’s games in a field near the coal mine which was known as the Rubsilaw Pile, overlooked by tailings. The club’s early games were played against other local clubs, and they quickly gained a reputation for their strong performances.
In 1907, Terregles Collieries entered the Alba Shield, but were eliminated in the first round by Glenarm, 9-1. The following year however, the club reached the Quarter-Finals, eliminating Arrina City at home, Stow Rangers and Oakley Banks away before succumbing to an 8-7 loss in 10 innings against eventual runners-up, Blainslieonians. The strong showing in the 1908 Alba Shield, as well as a desire to improve conditions in the workplace through financial gain on the field prompted The Foxes to pledge their commitment to the Albaland Baseball League in late-October.
1909 was the final year of exhibition play by the team before turning professional the following year. A dismal elimination in the first round of the Alba Shield at home to Waltonians the only competitive game of baseball the club lost as they finished the year with a record of 14-1.
With Foxes regularly coming to Rubislaw Pile due to food left behind by spectators until around 1930, the ground has seen many changes with the tailings from the mines long-since gone behind the 11-foot high Right Field wall and replaced with seating known as the McQueen stands. The shortened right field sees a 50% increase in home runs by left-handed hitters giving the ballpark a slight hitters-tilt. Situated on the outskirts of the city in a new residential suburb, The stadium is also known for it’s quirky changing rooms which are located underground, beneath the field. Players have to ascend a spiral staircase to reach the dugouts. During a 1956 game, the Foxes star Pitcher Agnes MacKenzie slipped whilst returning to the changing rooms for a bathroom break. He broke his arm in two places and was forced to retire a few months later.