Abner Arduaine Baseball Club is a baseball club founded in 1904 and based in the city of Arduaine, Albaland. They are the only professional club from the city and are one of sixteen teams that formed the inaugural season of the Albaland Baseball League. In the early decades the team played in an all-white strip with orange socks and caps, however by 1968, the team changed the sleeves, cap and pants to purple. In 1997, they made one finally tweak to the uniform, changing the entire strip to purple, with orange belt, socks and cap.
The club was named after Abner Doubleday, an American Civil War hero who was credited with inventing baseball. The team was created by a group of local businessmen who were looking to bring a sense of community pride and excitement to the area. They believed that a baseball team would provide a fun and engaging activity for families, as well as a way to showcase the talents of local athletes.
After playing regular exhibition games in the early years and building a reputation for their scrappy playing style and their never-say-die attitude which endeared them to fans throughout the city, Abner Arduaine got the nickname The Tigers, which the club adopted officially in 1929.
The clubs first officially recognized competitive game was the 1907 match-up against Bonhill – a small town situated south of Drumoak – away from home in the Alba Shield where a 4-3 loss eliminated The Tigers in the First Round. The following year they were forced to travel to Kilmarnock to take on Kilmarnock Albaland, where they secured their first ever nationally recognized competitive win. A 5-2 victory over Drumoak Import Export soon followed but Abner Arduaine were eliminated in the Third Round to eventual Albaland Baseball League rivals, South Angel.
Despite a poor showing in the Alba Shield the following year where they were eliminated in the Second Round, their performances caught the eye of Tadd Steward, who formally invited the team to enter his newly formed league to begin play in 1910.
With the club needing a proper, permanent, home before they entered the ABL, they approached the local government to use the Arduaine Sports Field which was located in downtown in the heart of the city; which was granted in late 1909. By 1916, Abner Arduaine purchased the land and took full ownership to invest into facilities.
A slightly shorter left field tempts right-handed power hitters but most struggle to clear the 19-foot high wall put in place to protect the bullpens of both teams before it reduces down to 12-feet at center field. The outfield then extends much further back reducing home runs substantially and turning the ballpark into a pitcher-friendly locale. The stadium’s concession stands are known for their signature dish called the “Triple Play Burger,” which features three types of meat and is served on a pretzel bun. It has been famously eaten by Gordan Ramsay, Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt.