Freyr Viksida Idrottsklub are a professional baseball team based in the second largest city in Koana Islands, Viksida, Västra Peka.
Formed in 1894 as a professional club that played exhibition games throughout the city, Freyr Viksida was started by prominent local architect Lars Olinsson who had originally called the team Freyr IK after the god in Norse mythology Freyr; associated with sacral kingship, virility, peace and prosperity, with sunshine, fair weather, and good harvest. After gaining popularity in the community, the local government pleaded with Olinsson in 1897 to include the name of the city into the clubs official title which was added in 1898. After receiving a personal invite into the Nationella Basebolligan by commissioner Niclas Nordin, Olinsson accepted the offer and the team joined a nationalized professional competition for the first time in 1899.
After a dismal inaugural season that saw Freyr finish dead last with a 19-59 record as well as hostility to the club and Lars Olinsson by other club owners, the team was not invited to partake in a vote to join the Super Ligan late that same year along with Västra Delen 95 who were also personally invited to join the NBL.
In 1900 the team went 33-45 to finish above the re-election zone, finishing 12th again the following year with 8 less wins. By 1902 though, Freyr and Västra Delen 95 had done little to sway the opinions of the other clubs within the Koanian Basebollförbundet, who voted both out of the league at the end of the 1902 baseball season.
After joining the Västerländsk Baseboll Ligan from in 1903, Freyr dominated proceedings, winning every title until 1909 but with finances dwindling, Olinsson was forced to give tickets away for free to cover costs, but with star players leaving for the glitz of the Koanian Basebollförbundet Super Ligan and Division Ett competitions, the team started to struggle both on and off the field. By 1912 however, the KBF was determined to grow the game and approached both Freyr Viksida and Västra Delen 95, offering them a chance to re-join the competition, citing prior mistreatment and a need to make amends.
Playing their home games in the tiny Lusp Kullar, the team sees a much higher than average number of home runs per season, with left-handed hitters really benefitting from the short outfield walls. The stadium was built on the site of a derelict factory with stunning views across the road to the Floby River, Hjede Park and Viksida’s skyscrapers across the way.
Most Koanian’s know the team as Blå Pojkar, or “The Blue Boys” in English, for their distinctive all-blue uniforms, stemming from the factory workers in the area wearing blue shirts. In a homage to the history, the team plays in all blue with yellow caps and gold pinstripes.