Bridgebank Baseball Club is a professional baseball team based in the city of Donibristle, Albaland which began playing in 1898. The team was named after the first bridge constructed in the city, which was right next to where their home stadium is situated. They are one of 16 founding member teams that formed the Albaland Baseball League in the 1910 baseball season along with cross-town rivals Warriors.
A group of men that ranged from cobblers, tailors, salesmen and factory workers formed the club as a way to promote healthy living and encourage people to get active. The club’s focus was on providing opportunities for people of all ages and abilities to play the sport and improve their physical and mental health. They played on the riverbank of the Sinclair River and soon gained a strong following. When the Bridgebank Bridge finished construction 250 meters down the riverbank in 1900, the club renamed to Bridgebank Baseball Club.
Like nearly all teams in Albaland, Bridgebank’s first recognized competitive game was the First Round of the 1907 Alba Shield in which they thrashed the Arradoul Bulldogs 11-3 away from home before being eliminated by Kirkcolm Town in the next round 9-to-5. The club had to wait until the following year to play their first home game in the Alba Shield, where they emerged victorious in the opening round with a 6-4 victory over Balmaclellan Bulldogs. However, the club came up short once more in the Second Round, losing at home to Townend.
The so-so results of the previous two years saw the team struggle to gain support despite their local rivals Warriors fairing little better. However, the 1909 Alba Shield proved different, as Bridgebank reach the Quarter-Finals following victories over Dunlop, a 7-1 thumping of Warriors in the Second Round – which garnered much interest from the locals – and a 9-6 victory over Forth Fisherford. The eventually lost at home to the eventual winners Douglastown, 1-0.
Upon hearing Warriors had asked to join the Albaland Baseball League which was to begin play the following year, Bridgebank – determined to become the biggest club in the city – requested to join the league a few weeks later which Tadd Steward, the league founder, accepted.
Affectionately known as The Bankers by fans, the club plays it’s games out of Walker Field, named after Frank Walker who helped to fund improvements to the facilities in the ground before his death in 1909. The ground is a pitchers paradise with 12 to 11-foot high walls surrounding an enormous outfield. Center field comes in slightly to minimize triples, but the strong wind from Leven Bay tends to blow parallel to the right field foul line and the riverbank, assisting lefty hitters. The ground has a novelty section of 15 seats suspended from the roof behind home plate, allowing fans to watch the game while dangling in the air.
The primary colors of Bridgebank are black, red and blue.