Douglastown Baseball Club, most commonly known as Douglastown BC or simply as Douglastown, is a baseball club based in Douglastown, Albaland. They are known as The Daggers and play in a red jersey with white pants, red socks and white caps. They are one of sixteen teams that played in the inaugural season of the Albaland Baseball League and clinched their first trophy in 1909 when they won the Alba Shield.
Established in the working class area of Douglastown where most people worked in mining or logging, the club was formed as Workers Baseball Club before renaming themselves in 1906. With the team finding success in friendly matches but with next to no money for uniforms or playing equipment, the team was forced to use old uniforms from South Angel from nearby St. Michaels – hence the similar colours.
Douglastown was the only team of the sixteen to join the Albaland Baseball League in 1910 to have won a national competition, having won the Alba Shield in 1909. After being eliminated in both 1907 and 1908 tournaments at the hands of Waltonians in the Second and Third Rounds respectively during those years, Douglastown defeated Celtic, Westfield Olympic, Albaland Hearts and Bridgebank on their way to a semi-final clash with Waltonians once more in 1909. Despite being down 6-4 heading into the bottom of the 9th, Douglastown rallied and scored 3 runs to finally break the losing streak to the Skipness-based team and reach the final which they went on to win over Maryburgh Angels, 7-5.
Famed for it’s “Great Red Wall” in left field, Douglastown’s Central Road ballpark is a huge pitchers ballpark that rewards small ball and fast base-runners. Nestled right next to an old factory building that stands 56 feet (17 metres) high that acts as the outfield wall from the left field foul pole to centre-right before a more traditional wall stretches around to the other foul pole at a height of 9 feet, the massive outfield sees a heavy reduction in home runs, especially from right-handed hitters. The factory building was bought by the club in 1924 and turned into a bullpen with stands built on top several years later, but the brick wall remains unchanged.