Elon Basebollförening is a baseball club located in Elon, Toivakka, Koana Islands. They are recognized as the 30th club to turn professional in Koana Islands when they replaced Uckford Gemenskap for the 1912 Baseball Season. They are affectionately known as Drakarna, which translated means The Dragons.
Prominant businessmen Lars Johansson, Anders Gustafsson and Carlsson Lindström founded the club in 1899 in the hopes of establishing a professional baseball team that could provide entertainment and distraction to the local community. The city was facing economic difficulties due to a lack of industry with many wooden shipbuilding companies going out of business in the area due to a shift towards steel-hulled vessels, leaving many residents struggling with poverty and unemployment. Their aim was to encourage and nurture a feeling of communal pride and togetherness during this tough time.
The founders of Elon BF recruited a group of talented local players and hired a manager, Karl Schmidt, who had previously managed Mächtstadt VfL in 1898 in Günsovölk’s Baseball Meisterschaft. They also built a new baseball field on the outskirts of the city where Kronach River meets Tibro River called Grågatanäng, where the club still plays today. The stadium is situated right on the banks of the two rivers, offering fans breathtaking views of the riverways from every angle. The name of the stadium, Grågatanäng, translates to “Grey Street Meadow” in English.
The stadium itself is a masterpiece of architecture, blending classic and modern design elements seamlessly. The exterior of the stadium is made of polished steel and glass, giving it a sleek and modern appearance. The entrance to the stadium is through a grand archway, which leads fans into the main concourse area. The outfield walls are 10-foot high and made of brick, adding to the stadium’s classic feel but are situated deep enough away to reduce home runs, albeit it with a slight increase in triples from league average. The ballpark’s dimensions make this a pitcher-friendly ballpark.
After joining the Toivakka Basebollförbund in 1899, the club didn’t find success until 1905, finishing as runners-up and repeating the feat the following year. They won the their first title and trophy in 1907. Following a 1909 championship, Elon BF finished as runners-up once again in both 1910 and 1911 to GK Udde Korall. Success at state level during this time prompted the team to apply for entry into Division Ett at the end of 1909, 1910 and 1911.
At the third time of applying, the club was voted into Division Ett at the expense of Uckford Gemenskap, with other team owners impressed by the club’s recent success in amateur leagues as well as it’s location with no other professional teams nearby.
The club plays in maroon, orange and white.