Mächtstadt Verein Für Leibesübungen (Mächtstadt Club for Body Training in English), known more simply as Mächtstadt VfL is located in Mächtstadt, Oberste, Günsovölk. It was a founding member of the Baseball Meisterschaft, having joined the Günsovölk Baseball-Bund in 1895.
Formed by an army regiment stationed at the barracks in the city as a way of improving fitness in 1889, the club eventually expanded to baseball in 1892, but didn’t play exhibition games with other clubs until 1894. With the club finding moderate success locally, they joined the Günsovölk Baseball-Bund in November 1895 and entered the Baseball-Pokal in 1896 where they reached the quarter-finals. The following year they reached the semi-finals, losing out to eventual runners-up Rasensport Sorgenfrei.
When club joined the Günsovölk Baseball-Bund, interest in the club skyrocketed in the city, and Mächtstadt VfL’s naming rights were soon bought by businessman Willi Franke who moved the team to a new location in the north of the city and opened up membership to anyone. They are affectionately known as Die Artilleristen (The Artillerymen) as a nod to it’s army barracks history.
With the Baseball-Pokal beginning to struggle financially in 1897, clubs turning professional with a round-robin tournament called the Baseball Meisterschaft was proposed. Willi Franke managed to successfully argue that his team should be on the list of 12 clubs and voted for the new league, becoming founding members in the process. In the first season, Mächtstadt VfL finished last of the 12 clubs competing.
Zellerstraße is the the name of home ballpark, famed for it’s right field wall that is mere inches away from Zeller River. The club proudly incorporated renewable energy sources such as solar panels on its roof and wind turbines into the floodlight gantries, becoming the first sports club in the world to have net-zero emissions each year.