Hamnområde Baseboll Klub, more commonly known as Hamnområde BK, is a professional baseball club in Humoor, Wilkes, Koana Islands.
The club was formed from the Humoor Skeppsbyggnads Företag‘s recreation fund, which had been established in 1891 by a weekly subscription from the workers at the shipbuilding company to establish recreational activities for themselves. This fund allowed for the establishment of a baseball club and a soccer club.
The recreation club initially played friendly games after work between themselves before eventually entering the Humoor Baseboll Ligan under the name of Hamnområde Arbetare Baseboll Klub (Port Area Workers Baseball Club) in 1893 where they won the championship a year later.
Following the success of the club in the Humoor Baseboll Ligan and the start of the Super Ligan in 1895, company owner Olliver Pettersson paid a small sum of money to the recreation fund and purchased the team to own and operate. Historical documents are patchy at best, but it’s believed the workers negotiated a pay rise in the deal. The club also removed “Arbetare” from it’s name during this time.
In 1896, just 14 months after purchasing the club, Pettersson applied for entrance into the Super Ligan which was approved, garnering 10 votes. The AGM minutes of the vote indicate that placing a team in the city of Humoor made good business sense for the growth of the league. After a three-year stay in the league, Hamnområde BK was voted out of the Super Ligan by its peers, but joined Division Ett in it’s first year of existence.
In 1903, the club made a significant acquisition by purchasing a plot of land situated on Härjedalsgatan to act as their new home ground. With the aim of enabling year-round sports activities, the club constructed a pavilion on the premises to facilitate the playing of baseball during the winter months and seamlessly transition to hosting soccer matches in the summer.
The uniqueness of the ground became apparent, as it boasted a notably deep center field, unparalleled during that era. The center field was distinguished by towering 17-foot high walls, extending from the left side of the field. The walls then transitioned to more conventional 8-foot heights as they approached the corners of the outfield. The decision to construct such high walls and create an extensive center field was rooted in the club’s proximity to a neighboring factory building, in an effort to safeguard the factory building from potential damage caused by home run balls. In 1928 the factory building was knocked down.
Affectionally dubbed Måsar or Seagulls, for the constant flock of seagulls congregating in the outfield, Hamnområde officially adopted the nickname prior to the 1897 Super Ligan season.